Job Description Summary : JOB SUMMARY
The Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) responds to emergent and non-emergent requests for medical assistance and delivers high quality patient care, treatment, and customer service in the most expedient, professional, safe, caring, and cost effective manner possible within the prescribed scope of practice, established protocols and Company policies.
• Follows and maintains thorough familiarity with evolving medical treatment protocols, response requirements, quality assurance procedures, local Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and other Company policies
• Continuously maintains the level and type of certification(s) consistent with performing the duties of an EMT
• Operates Company vehicles in accordance with Risk & Safety policies; is familiar with and abides by traffic laws governing the operation of emergency response vehicles
• Maintains a driving record in compliance with Risk & Safety policy requirements
• Develops ability to locate addresses quickly and safely through knowledge of number systems and street layouts with and without the assistance of maps and electronic mapping devices.
• Performs beginning of shift checks to ensure the ambulance is in a state of mechanical readiness; tops off fluids as necessary; ensures that appropriate equipment and supplies are on board
• Reports immediately to the Supervisor any discrepancies in vehicle, equipment or supplies standards that could compromise the unit’s ability to complete a call
• Notifies Fleet Maintenance/Supervisor of mechanical failures of the ambulance and equipment
• Ensures the ambulance is cleaned inside and outside, restocked, tagged as necessary, and fueled at the end of each shift
• Completes all appropriate documentation as outlined in Company policy.
• Reports problems or unusual occurrences immediately to the Supervisor
• Attends all mandatory training and in-service events
• Fosters and maintains cooperative working relationships with peers, facility staff and public safety personnel.
• Maintains complete and accurate documentation of patient assessment and treatment
• Maintains complete and accurate documentation of patient statistical and billing information and services rendered.
• Uses/operates appropriate communications equipment, medical equipment, cleaning equipment, office equipment and tools.
• Appropriately uses medical equipment such as gurney, airway equipment/airway bag, IV, splints, bandages, and medications in rendering proper emergency medical treatment of patients
• Reads medication/prescription labels and directions for usage in quick, accurate and expedient manner
• Communicates effectively with empathy and compassion to interview patients, their family members, bystanders, other service agency members and facility staff
• Discerns deviations/changes in eye/skin coloration due to patient’s condition and to the treatment given
• Listens to and takes direction from Dispatch
• Converses with Dispatch, facility staff and other responders via phone or radio as to status of patient
• Fosters and maintains excellent working relationships with all internal and external facility staff
• Conducts self in a professional manner in accordance with the Company’s ‘Standards of Conduct’ policy
• Arrives for duty appropriately groomed and in the proper work dress/uniform
• Maintains punctual and regular attendance
• Completes all required/assigned Company training
• Perform other duties as assigned
Experience: Must be at least 18 years of age; some prior work experience in a
health care system preferred
Education: High school diploma or GED
Skills: Effective oral and written communication skills; strong listening
and comprehension abilities, adaptability to quickly evolving situations, and strong decision making
Credentials/Licenses: Valid Driver’s License, State EMT certification and CPR/BLS certifications. Other certifications as required by local City, County or State | Job Description :
WORKING CONDITIONS AND MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Working Conditions: Available to work days, nights, weekends and holidays, extended
workdays. Long periods inside the ambulance. May work indoors or outdoors with exposure to weather. Possible routine exposure to moderate noise levels. May periodically work in poorly lit environments in a moving vehicle
Physical Demands: Moderate to extended amounts of sitting, standing, and walking.
Some repetitive motion activities. Routinely lifting more than 200 lbs. with assistance. Pushing, pulling, reaching, lifting, bending, squatting, kneeling, twisting, carrying, typing and stair climbing. Visual identification of color-coded items. Clear speech and hearing. Must be able to wear a face mask or respirator with proper fit for extended periods when required
Mental Requirements: Critical thinking skills with the ability to use logic and reasoning to
identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Fatigue, high pressure, exposure to stressful situations. Compassion and empathy
GUIDING VALUES AND BEHAVIORS
Employee must consistently exhibit our guiding principles:
• Patient Care - We continually earn the privilege to care for our patients. It is at the forefront of everything we do.
• One Team - We respect each other and achieve together what no individual can alone.
• Innovation - We are driven to develop solutions that inspire progress.
• Vigilance - We will never waver in our commitment to safety and preparedness in the fulfillment of our duties.
• Ownership - We are accountable for what we do and take pride in how we do it.
• Citizenship - We are dedicated to being good stewards in the communities we serve.
Reports to: Field Operations Supervisor
Interrelationships: Operations Management and Administration